Apparently these are Cookies Of Many Names, because they’re also called Sandies (although in that case there is often something in the middle of them) and Russian Tea Cakes. Are there any others I should know about? 😛
I had a couple different recipes given to me for these, and I kinda combined elements of each one (yeah, I know, I’m notorious for this…). The result was uber delicious, most definitely melt-in-your-mouth goodness. I experimented with a few by putting some chocolate chips in the middle, but for once I think I actually prefer the cookie without the chocolate in it!
Mexican Wedding Cookies
1 cu butter, softened
1/2 cu powdered sugar
2 t vanilla extract
(1 t vanilla extract
1 t almond extract)
2 cu all-purpose flour
1 cu finely chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, or pecans…I used pecans because it’s what I had in the nut drawer)
1) blend together flour and powdered sugar, add vanilla/ almond extract
2) sift in flour; mix in nuts
3) for best results allow to chill minimum of 1 hour (I did 1/2 hr because I was impatient and they turned out fine)
4) pre-heat oven to 350
5) roll/press dough into small spheres and place on ungreased cookie sheet
6) bake ~15 min (the tops won’t turn brown, however the bottoms will, so you may want to start checking them after 12 minutes or so)
7) allow to cool completely, then roll cookies in additional powdered sugar
8) just TRY to stop eating them
Edit: I knew while typing this out that for some reason “small spheres” wasn’t quite the lingo I was searching for. I was, in fact, looking for “small balls”, but my brain seems to have lost some (which might explain why I was looking?).
At least the math and engineering people can appreciate spheres?