Annie tagged me for a meme, and I figured I could tailor it to cooking since that’s what this blog is about!
6 Random Cooking Facts About Me
1. The first thing I remember making by myself is hot chocolate. I was around 6 or 7, I believe.
In a microwavable mug, combine 1 heaping T of cocoa powder with 2 t sugar (nowadays I use honey). Add a little milk to make a smooth paste, then fill mug completely. Microwave on high for approximately 2 minutes, stirring once halfway through. For variations, 1/2 t cinnamon and/or 1/4 t vanilla extract may be added.
(Those without a microwave can heat the milk on the stove and add it gradually to the mug.)
2. The most difficult food I ever made was Penuche. It doesn’t look that difficult to me now (I was 12 at the time), but I remember it being absolute torture. The memory is still fresh enough to keep me from trying again anytime soon!
3. The most time-consuming food I ever made were croissants (~6 hours). Lots of waiting and dough-work.
4. I generally start with a recipe, but I usually modify it as I go and rarely do the same thing twice. Exceptions occur, however, and there are about 8 recipes that I have memorized.
5. People sometimes ask for my recipes, but only one dish has gotten more than 3 requests. Sometime I’ll post the recipe here. (*oooh, mystery!*)
6. Aside from chocolate (which is a given), my greatest food weakness is a toss up between fresh garlic French sourdough bread and crunchy dill pickles.