Because it’s too good to not share. My first exposure to this was through my husband’s family, and it has become one of my non-chocolate favorites. In fact, it’s right up there with Tiramisu and cheesecake.
…now I want Tiramisu. I haven’t made one of those in over a year.
*cough* Anyway. I’m getting distracted again.
Pineapple Dream Cake
- 1 (9×13) vanilla cake
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups vanilla pudding
- 1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 Tablespoon honey
1) If you are making your pudding from scratch, do that first. Continue once the pudding is cool. This can be done a day ahead.
2) Make the vanilla cake.
3) Combine pineapple, molasses, and honey in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly.
4) Poke holes in the vanilla cake and pour pineapple mixture over the top (best if you can do this while cake is still warm); cool completely.
3) Whip cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
4) Layer pudding on top of cooled cake, followed by whipped cream. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate a minimum of 3 hours. For best results, refrigerate overnight.
Vanilla Cake–This is the recipe I generally use (minus the frosting and coconut). I don’t always have things a room temperature (in fact I usually don’t). I bake it in a 9×13″ pan, which can increase cooking time a little. I also use honey instead of sugar which results in some other adjustments of the recipe. I don’t need to get into all that entails unless someone is particularly interested, though.
- 1/3 cup honey
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
1) In a saucepan over med-high heat, mix together honey, corn starch, salt, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently..
2) Remove from heat, temper eggs, then add eggs to pot and return to med-high boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3) Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, cover with a lid and allow pudding to cool completely in the fridge or a cold water bath.