‘Tis the season for zucchini (or courgette for those across the pond)! My house has been inundated with it, and so I’ve been doing my best to keep up.
One of my sister-in-laws told me about this recipe, and I’ve made it twice so far. It’s very good, although I don’t currently have applesauce in the house. I use 3/4 cup olive oil instead (I will try it with the applesauce once I get some!). Also, my muffins tested done after 17 minutes, but that could be due to oil instead of applesauce and/ or my higher altitude.
Zucchini Muffins (a slightly modified version of this recipe)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 3-4 handfuls of chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup apple sauce (or 3/4 cup oil)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1) Preheat oven to 325° F and grease (or line with muffin papers) 18 muffin cups.
2) Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.
3) Combine wet ingredients and zucchini in a medium bowl.
4) Stir wet mixture into dry mixture.
5) Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans and bake 20-25 minutes or until it tests done.
6) Remove muffins to cooling rack and allow to cool about 10 minutes.