Adapted from my Joy of Cooking cookbook, this scone recipe only has four ingredients. Hard to go wrong with that!
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1) Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
2) Sift dry ingredients together.
3) Add cream and mix together until barely combined. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, and handling it as little as possible, pat or roll into 3/4″ thick round.
4) Cut into 12 wedges, place on ungreased cookie sheet, and bake 10-12 minutes, or until scones are golden. Remove to wire rack to cool.
– I’ve substituted 1 cup of flour for pastry flour with success.
– To use as a base for strawberry shortcake or other dessert, add 1-2 Tablespoons of sugar to the dry ingredients for a sweeter scone.